Breaking Up Is Hard To Do

I came across an article in the NY Times about a 'workshop' of sorts that was recently held to teach teenagers how to break up with their bf/gf in a healthy way. Yes, I realize this article is about teaching children how to break up but judging from what I read on the blogosphere and from personal experience, us adults could use a little help in this arena too. Here's a link to the article: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/07/magazine/teaching-kids-how-to-break-up-nicely.html?_r=1

Another interesting article I found this morning is along the same lines as the one above but deals with friendship breakups. Although we haven't posted about it, both Miranda and I have been talking (and dealing with) a lot about the pressure we feel, as women, to be bffs with every other female we are introduced to. It's like we are expected to befriend all the women we meet regardless of if they are actually 'our type' of friend. There have been several times over the past couple of months where I have ended a 'friendship' with a 'girlfriend' and when I tell people about the experience they look at me like I'm freaking Hitler or something. Excuse me for not wanting to be fake and participate in a fake friendship that consists of monthly dinners out where we talk about things I have no interest in (diaper brands, The Bachelor, household chores, husbands and their shortcomings, etc.) and obligatory text messages feigning interest in whatever issue my 'friend' is dealing with that week. I have my own life and my own issues and a large number of close friends - every time I meet a new girl I don't have to automatically add her on FB, save her number on my phone, and start texting her every day asking her about her feelings. Sorry, don't have the time nor the energy and I don't feel one bit bad about it. I'm not supposed to start dating every guy I meet so why the double standard? This article answers some of these questions and gives some advice on how to breakup with a friend without feeling like a horrible monster: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/irene-s-levine/friend-breakup_b_920316.html

Enjoy!
-Gwyn

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Online Dating Duds

The more things seem to change, the more they stay the same - sometimes - The Return of Sawyer Part 2

Five months later