Another One Bites the Dust

Damn it. Another perfectly good FWB situation seems to have morphed on me yet again. I really need to follow Gwyn’s FWB rules better and maybe I wouldn’t find myself in this same situation over and over and over and over….

Friday afternoon, SoCo texted me and said he didn’t want to go to that party after all but that he still wanted to do something with me. At first, I agreed but later punked out because I was freaking exhausted from all our Thursday night fun. That same afternoon, freaking Sawyer called me to remind me his wife will be out of town in a couple weeks and that he wanted to spend some time with me. I told him I didn’t think that was such a good idea and even called him a chump. However, I think my flip attitude set off his “gotta have her” meter because he’s been emailing me like crazy since then. That same afternoon

To put the cherry on the crazy for the day, Friday afternoon damn Motorcycle Man texted me out of the blue asking when I was going to let him take “my liberal ass out on a date again.” I kindly reminded him that we were friends and only friends and I haven’t heard from him since!

So Friday night after I fulfilled my sisterly/auntly duties of going to watch my niece cheer in her last high school football game, I was doing my best Grandma Gwyn impersonation and cocooning in my house. SoCo kept texting me and doing his damndest to try to convince me to go out with him and some friends but I held firm. He said he was going to the mountains and staying Saturday night there so I told him we’d hang out in a few days but I also predicted to Gwyn that he’d be coming home early on Saturday.

Sure enough after spending a little quality time with Gwyn, her grandma, and her mom during the day on Saturday, who should text me and say he’s coming home early – SoCo. Damn it’s hard being right all the time – HA! He asked me if I wanted to hang out with him, his pseudo-brother (best friend who lived with him and his parents for a good portion of the teenage years), and the pseudo-brother’s wife at their house out in BFE. I played it coy and didn’t agree right off the bat because I was thinking about going out with some of the girls but in the end the hormones won the battle and I told him I’d hang out.

Now at this point, though he’s said a lot of non-FWB stuff, I was still thinking we were still mostly on the FWB track. Um, not so much after this weekend. (Warning Sign #1) He picked me up on Saturday and didn’t just text me from downstairs. He actually came all the way up to my apartment. I tried to convince myself he’s just a gentleman at this point.

(Warning Sign #2) On the way out there, he fessed up to me that the reason he didn’t want to go to that party on Friday night was because a girl he’d been dating was invited and he didn’t want to be around her. I asked who this girl was and turns out it was the very girl I told him liked him this summer when SoCo went loco on me. – See I am actually almost always right! I reminded him that I’d said that and he thought that was pretty funny but I could tell he felt uncomfortable about it. HA!

We actually had a fun time hanging out at the pseudo-brother’s house and just listening to music and talking and stuff. I definitely had a “is this really my life moment” as we were sitting around this table and passing around some recreational activities and then went right back to talking about work and life stuff. Obviously, we stayed the night there and had yet another night of great sex where he proclaimed how awesome I was and how he couldn’t understand “how any man would let me walk out of his life.”

(Warning Sign #3) We got up Sunday morning, all went to breakfast, and I was still desperately clinging on to the FWB relationship when he put his arm around me as we were walking into the restaurant. I knew at that moment that I was in trouble. He also paid for my meal and I swear he would have been holding my hand in the car if I hadn’t stuffed my hands in my pockets and wouldn’t pull them out even to brace myself as we were on twisty country roads.

I needed to get back so I could take care of some stuff and make it to Gwyn’s soccer game so after lunch we grabbed our stuff and left. (Warning Sign #4) When we left, both the sister-in-law and the pseudo-brother hugged me and told me what fun I was and that they hoped to see me again very soon. They are actually really fun, cool people.

My final warning sign of the weekend (Warning Sign #5 if you’re keeping count) was one of the most significant. When we got back to my apartment, I went to jump out of the car all casually and stuff when SoCo grabbed me and pulled me in for a good-bye kiss. Try as I might, I knew right then and there that our days as FWB were over.

I had to admit my defeat to Gwyn via text. Of course, she’s spent like the last six weekends in a row with Romeo so she doesn’t have any room to talk! Thankfully, SoCo doesn’t seem to be a clinger so he did resist texting me from about noon when he dropped me off until about 6 pm. I could so tell he was hoping I would invite him over to hang out but I was worn out from the weekend’s festivities and the freaking time change.

So now I guess I have to actually evaluate how I feel about him. He’s definitely a friend, he highly entertains me, and obviously, the sex is really good. The trouble is he’s so not who I see myself ending up with long term. I texted with Jules some about this yesterday and we both agree that you don’t have to find Mr. Right all the time and that sometimes Mr. Right Now. I think more than anything I just need to be honest about my feelings, should the discussion ever come up, and otherwise shut up and enjoy the ride.

But damn it, I sure never thought I’d be “dating” SoCo.

Miranda

Comments

  1. Bwwaaahaahaha!!! You have a boyfriend too it seems!

    I say Mr. Right Now sounds like a good plan as long as you go into it thinking that and he's aware (or at least sort of aware) that he isn't your Mr. Right. That way if and when you do meet Mr. Right it won't be too hard to cut ties with SoCo!

    It is hard being right all the time ;)

    -Gwyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. HE IS NOT MY BOYFRIEND!!!!!


    Miranda

    ReplyDelete
  3. WTF does, "He's not who I see myself ending up with long term."

    For some reason that statement really stuck in my craw (and I don't even know if I have a craw).

    Who the fuck is Mr. Right?

    There seems to be a lot of Mr. Rightnow's.

    I just don't get what some women are looking for.

    "I like you, your nice, we get along, the sex is fantastic, you make me laugh, your WAY into me...but, sorry, the mythical Mr. Right is still out there somewhere, looking for me."

    I defer to my previous posts about women wanting to be mistreated. Mr. Right will most likely be the guy who pushes you away. Because for most women the biggest aphrodisiac is rejection....

    Sorry, I guess I do have a craw after all...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's the deal Kenny and let me say I know how superficial it sounds. SoCo is an autobody mechanic, ok I'll give him a little credit and also say he's a manager in training for the shop he works at. There's a huge gap in our educational backgrounds and I'm damn sure I make a hell of a lot more money (legally) than him. He also deals a little on the side and he's a smoker. All these things are not who I see myself with 20, hell even 5 years down the road. Is is a great guy? Sure but he's not where I'm trying to go long term.

    I've already been married to someone who makes less money than me and has way less education and it was hard and difficult and super challenging to relate to one another. I don't want to end up there again.

    You're welcome to have all the crawl you want. If someone doesn't call us on our bullshit from time to time then how are we ever going to learn? ;)

    Miranda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said Miranda...well said. I feel the same way about my "team". I have far more education than they all do (probably combined). I can relate to them on a sexual level and a friend level, but not a life partner level. That was the one really good thing about Russell...I felt like we were intellectual equals and we could actually talk about real things. It's about the only thing I will miss about him though. You don't have to be rich or overly educated to date me, but to be Mr. Right there are some criteria. We will NOT compromise or settle again. ;)
    -Jules

    ReplyDelete
  6. It must be said....these 3 ladies are not just "some" women. They are not your typical game playing girls, nor are they flighty or inconsistant. These women may not know what they want all the time, but when they do(and thats more often than not) they will tell you....these are the kind of ladies that make their parents proud(as long as no moms or dads are reading this blog LOL)...they make their friends feel honored...and they make men fall in love...nope they can never be called "some" women!! ;-)
    Feel the love ladies....but Jules if you contact Clark again I take it all back!! LMAO!!
    Josie...seconded by Dave

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Online Dating Duds

The more things seem to change, the more they stay the same - sometimes - The Return of Sawyer Part 2

Five months later